Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Burt Reynolds?


Burt Reynolds
I’m just a kid spending the weekend at Napa’s Silverado Country Club when I glance up from collecting lost golf balls when I see this mustached man who recently caused a stir, posing nearly naked in a centerfold. I feel dizzy seeing him in real life. He and his girlfriend, Dinah Shore are chatting with James Brolin about appaloosas when I asked him for his autograph.
I am giddy with excitement when he scribbles his name down for me, but am horrified by what I see! His name isn’t legible at all. The kids in school won’t believe that I actually got his autograph!
In my childhood brilliance, I rewrite his name over and over again until I write the way I imagine his signature to look. I carry his autograph inside a sandwich baggy to protect it on the way to school to show my friends. They stand around the tetherball pole staring at his neat penmanship with envy while his real autograph is wadded up in a heap of rubble inside the garbage can.
Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment